This site is primarily intended to allow me to play around with new stuff. As part of this, I’m playing with Jekyll, which is a simple, ruby based web generator which creates static sites programatically.
- Simpler hosting requirements. All you need is a web server like Apache
- Will be able to survive a slashdotting (not that that is ever likely to happen to me)
- Not hackable through attacks on the CMS product, because there isn’t one
- Uses Markdown, which makes writing the content much easier. You can always fall back to HTML when you need it though
- Want to cross-post? Thats easy. Simply symlink between your different blogs and re-publish.
This also gives me the opportunity to replace the old design for 8bitcloud with a new one. I really enjoy doing web site designs. What a pity I’m no good at it :)
Big props to Dlimiter who showed me jekyll